PLAN Interest Groups offer Panhandle library staff the opportunity to network with colleagues having similar professional interests, similar job responsibilities, or from a similar type of library. The Interest Groups will have formats for online and face-to-face (F2F) meetings to discuss important topics and job-related activities.
These informal groups will expand knowledge and build relationships among library staff in the Panhandle. Beyond facilitating peer networking and knowledge sharing, Interest Groups may adopt projects to accomplish, undertake group activities, or hold events that include expert speakers or trainers, with the support of PLAN. Quarterly meetings are suggested for the Interest Groups, but the number and format of the meetings will be chosen by the Group participants themselves.
PLAN Interest Groups are a member-driven initiative. If you are interested in participating, please complete a brief survey to determine what topics, specialties, or areas of interest are likely to be the most attractive. PLAN will start with the top three or four, and seek volunteers to lead each Interest Group. Interest Group Leaders are needed to organize and facilitate online and F2F meetings of the groups, and communicate with group members about upcoming meetings. You may indicate your willingness to serve as a Group Leader on the survey.
Interest Group Leaders will:
- Facilitate communications about, and the scheduling for, meetings among the members of the Group.
- Take initiative to guide the group in planning meetings and discussions.
What PLAN Interest Groups can do:
- Communicate online via an online forum dedicated to the Group.
- Meet online, in person, or by conference calls.
- Plan and organize webinars, online courses, and F2F events.
- Present programs at PLAN, FLA, or other conferences.
- Write Blogs for publication on PLAN’s website.
- Hold social gatherings and networking sessions for Group members to connect with each other.
PLAN staff will support the Interest Groups by:
- Promoting them on the PLAN website and in PLAN email promotions.
- Providing an online meeting format (GoToWebinar) for group meetings.
- Providing PLAN’s event management system for meeting registrations and for Group members to receive alerts about upcoming meetings.
- Providing an online discussion forum to facilitate ongoing discussion among the members of each group and archiving the shared knowledge.