Programs — Learning or Fun or Both

The purpose of PLAN’s Forums are to facilitate discussions on topics of professional interest to library staff. All library staff are invited to use the forums. For more information, see: About the Forums

Home Forums Adult Services for Public Libraries Programs — Learning or Fun or Both

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Suvi Suvi 1 year, 1 month ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Lynn Elliott
    Lynn Elliott

A thought for the collective brain, when considering programming for adults…
    Should we go for fun, learning or both?

vstever
    vstever

My feeling is that many adults won’t make time for something they perceive as purely fun. It’s like they feel guilty for not accomplishing anything with their time (retirees excepted!). But if the learning itself is fun — they learn to make a scarf with a library knitting group, for example — then they really embrace it. Social learning in groups is very appealing.

Suvi
    Suvi

I think both. I am currently struggling with trying to figure out what are the needs in my community and address those as best as possible. We have book discussion groups but we don’t have huge numbers for them. I’m hoping that serving as a VITA tax help site will bring in people who don’t normally come to the library and through meeting them, find out what other services/ opportunities they need.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.