Obtaining Obituaries

The purpose of PLAN’s Forums are to facilitate discussions on topics of professional interest to library staff. All library staff are invited to use the forums. For more information, see: About the Forums

Home Forums Genealogy Obtaining Obituaries

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Regina Regina 2 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

DDEBOLT

I might mention that the University Archives and West Florida History Center has vast newspaper holdings for all ten Florida panhandle counties, both microfilm and hard copy newspapers, going back as far as newspapers exist. We provide free lookup and email of articles, obituaries, etc. from these papers and have served genealogists all over the United States. Not all the titles and holdings are listed in the University of West Florida Library catalog (catalog tab at uwf.edu/library)

I know many libraries in the Panhandle have runs of newspapers but we can help fill in those gaps and help users too. Email requests are welcome.

Dean DeBolt
    ddebolt@uwf.edu

Laura Moree

This is great information to know and to share with patrons. Thank you.

Laura Moree

Obtaining obituaries for people researching ancestry outside of Bay County can sometimes be challenging. We try to find a death location and search the websites and catalogs of the libraries and historical societies serving that city or county for at least an index. We show the customers how to contact that organization to retrieve or search for the information. Most organizations seem to be very helpful and willing!

Sometimes we hit gold with the actual copy (or transcript) of the obituary. I am always amazed at some of the information that can be found online!

Regina
    Regina

Out of curiosity, what do you do when you know someone has died, but there is no obituary in the local paper? For instance, the News Herald charges for obituaries, so some families may not publish one. Do you have another source? Thanks in advance!

DDEBOLT

Since we subscribe to and have enormous physical and microfilm back copies of all Panhandle newspapers, occasionally we are able to find an obituary in a neighboring city or county rather than where one would think to look. Sometimes the newspaper carries a list of deaths separate from the paid obituaries and we can check there–those may not be indexed online however.

But yes, it is true that some families will not pay the cost of an obituary. That is why funeral home records are so important. I have about three or more funeral home records in our archives and there are often worksheets in the file with family and genealogy information that did not get published.

We regularly without charge look up obituaries for researchers and send them off to them by email.

Dean DeBolt
    UWF Archives and West Florida History Center
    UWF Libraries, Pensacola
    ddebolt@uwf.edu

Regina
    Regina

I wasn’t even aware that someone was archiving some funeral home records! Kudos to you for doing it — you are providing a great service to your community! Thanks for your response!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.