Displaying Materials

The purpose of PLAN’s Forums are to facilitate discussions on topics of professional interest to library staff. All library staff are invited to use the forums. For more information, see: About the Forums

Home Forums Archives and Local History Displaying Materials

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  DDEBOLT 1 month, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

DDEBOLT

I have been urging archivists and librarians to consider displaying color prints of scanned items rather than the originals when you want to do exhibits or highlight something. If you have an exhibit case, usually the library keeps its hours on much longer than your department and such lighting will harm fragile items. You might not see the damage, but the constant UV on inks, colors, and other items may cause fading as well as deterioration. If you don’t use exhibit cases, then you can easily mount color photocopies on boards for viewing without harming the originals. I don’t know how many exhibits I’ve seen where someone begins to tap the displayed item with their finger or fingernail, so having a photocopy is better for preservation.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.